Saturday, July 16, 2016

2016 Funding Approved!

My apologies for the delay in posting.  The report came through during a very busy time in school and I just realized today that I never shared any of it!  Thanks to the bartending event and a last-minute funraising push, we successfully funded two students for this year!

Back in February (I said I was late in sharing...) I received the end of year report for the Itiso Scholarship from my on-the-ground partner.  I'll write more about first student who was chosen -- Emmanuel -- in its own post.  This year, the committee also selected a second student to get a scholarship.  Emmanuel continues to receive the scholarship for his second and final year of upper high school (A-levels, for those familiar with the system there.)  The last year is significantly more expensive, with extra tutoring and exam fees.
Emmanuel and Remidius, the representative from our partner org, Youth Empowerment and Support (YES).  Remidius delivered the funds to the school to pay for Emmanuel's fees and checked on his progress.  Emmanuel did not get to the keep the cash after the photo op.  :)

Remidius met with our first-year scholar, Kaleji, to check on his progress, encourage him in his studies, and pay the school for his expenses.
I’m going back to Tanzania this summer to visit, and plan to meet the students or their families, so I can tell you more about the impact this program is having on them and the community.  I'm hoping to have more fundraisers this year and to add designated funding for girls' education.

If you would like to support the fund, you can donate to Friends of Tanzania here and write in Itiso Scholarship Fund as the designation, like so:

Who here likes presents?

Thanks again for your support!  You helped to make this happen!
Asanteni sana,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment